Graduate Fashion Week goes global, announcing its exciting partnership with Fashion Forward Dubai for 2017, showcasing thirteen talented fashion design graduates from the June event.
Fashion Forward Dubai (FFWD), the region’s progressive fashion platform, endorsed by Dubai Design and Fashion Council (DDFC) and with Dubai Design District (d3) as Strategic Partner, is set to host its milestone tenth season from October 26th – 28th 2017 with footfall expected to reach 18,000 guests.
This season will see the launch of FFWD’s “Fashion Future,” a showcase made up of a curated selection of graduates’ collections from top fashion schools across the globe, highlighting some of the most promising talent of the next generation, all anchored by Graduate Fashion Week. GFW will be represented by thirteen graduates from its UK and international member universities from as far as Italy, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, China, Japan and India.
Showcasing their graduate catwalk collections, workbooks, portfolios and being present at the event themselves, the graduates will be able to benefit from the variety of key audience members who attend, such as; large retail groups, regional buyers, industry professionals, editors and press, international and regional fashion community and consumers. Graduate Fashion Week Creative Director Martyn Roberts and International Charity Trustee Adrien Yakimov-Roberts will be in attendance throughout the event.
Graduate Fashion Week is the largest platform in the world for new BA fashion talent, highlighting the freshest upcoming stars in design, creative direction, marketing, communication, photography, illustration and all aspects of the modern business of fashion. The charity’s patrons include Christopher Bailey MBE, Victoria Beckham OBE, Dame Vivienne Westwood DME RDI and Nick Knight OBE.
The annual event, held every June attracts 30,000 guests, features 24 catwalk shows and 40+ exhibition stands, alongside a packed schedule of live talks and workshops from leading names in the fashion and retail industry. Each year the event attracts a wide array of top Industry professionals & recruiters from UK and abroad who use this opportunity to spot the best new talent under one roof, interview on the spot as well as offer exciting graduate opportunities.
The charity represents 36 UK universities and 32 international universities, helping 1,000’s of graduates each year to secure employment and prepare for the industry. Graduate Fashion Week is key to supporting talented graduates, enabling future success in the UK’s fashion industry as well as globally. Outside of the annual exhibition in June, the charity aims to continue promoting graduate’s work and with that increase employment opportunities and enterprise, in UK and abroad.
The Graduates representing Graduate Fashion Week in Dubai are from the following universities:
- ArtsUniversity Bournemouth, UK – Daniel Rynne – Winner of 2017 Debenhams Menswear Award
- De Montfort University Leicester, UK – Abisola Akanni – Finalist for Best of GFW
- Edinburgh College of Art, UK – Halina North – Winner of Christopher Bailey Gold Award and Hilary Alexander Trailblazer Award
- Edinburgh College of Art, UK – Irene D’Antonio – Winner of the M&S Womenswear Award
- Edinburgh College of Art, UK –Ruth Williams – Winner of the Visionary Knitwear Award
- Manchester School of Art, UK – Susan Forrest – Finalist for Best of GFW
- Salford University, UK – Sarah-Louise Francis – Finalist for Best of GFW
- UCA Rochester, UK – Claire Tagg – – Finalist for Best of GFW
- Academy Of Design, Sri Lanka – Thamali Dharmawardena – Finalist for International Catwalk Comp
- Accademia Costume e Moda, Italy – Diana Aparo – Finalist for International Catwalk Comp
- Bunka Fashion College, Japan – Yu Liang – Finalist for International Catwalk Comp
- Donghua University College of Fashion and Design, China – Yao Yao – Finalist for International Catwalk Comp
- Shin Chien University, Taiwan – Po-Chieh Chiu – Winner for International Catwalk Competition
Martyn Roberts, Creative Director of Graduate Fashion Week comments; “We are extremely proud to take Graduate Fashion Week global and to be partnering with Fashion Forward Dubai for their tenth season and first ever Fashion Future showcase. Each year GFW sees exciting and innovative fashion designers take over the catwalk and we look forward to sharing their talent and our award winners internationally. This is a great opportunity for our selected graduates as we continue to support them entering the fashion industry.”
GFW is the world’s largest event for BA Fashion talent and next year’s event will take place on the 3rd-6th June 2018 at The Old Truman Brewery, Shoreditch, London.
About Fashion Forward Dubai (FFWD)
Fashion Forward Dubai (FFWD) is the definitive fashion platform for Dubai and the Middle East — which provides a platform and a progressive direction for fashion. Key components of FFWD include: catwalk shows and presentations by the best couture, ready-to-wear designers of Middle Eastern origin, or region based; The Showcase, a curated space dedicated to accessories designers; the d3 Fashion Talks, to foster industry discussion; and a place to connect buyers and industry professionals directly with the designers. www.fashionforward.ae